Hi there, I'm Andy and this page is brought to you by the color international orange.
I'm currently a design manager at Uber working on our next-generation businesses like UberFRESH, UberRUSH, and UberESSENTIALS. From 2006 to 2014, I was a product designer at Google, leading design efforts for Google Now, Schemer, Street View, and the driver experience for Google's self-driving cars. Before that, I interned at Apple and Firaxis Games, where I wrote some code and designed some maps for Civilization IV. I attended Stanford University where I received a BS and MS in Computer Science with a concentration in human-computer interaction.
Would you like to feed the dog?
Stuff I like
- This video of an Arctic fox hunting mice
- Achewood, a great daily webcomic
- Snark Hunting, a blog about naming and branding
- Orisinal, beautiful and fun Flash games
My current stuff
- Andy Szybalski (@andyszy) on Twitter
- Shared items on Google Reader
- Pigeon District, where I occasionally blog about cities, design, and technology.
- I've been working on the website of Dr. Heidi Meck, clinical psychologist in Los Altos, CA
My old stuff
- The Mooches is a webcomic I wrote with Max Doty. It chronicles the adventures of an oddly-shaped fellow named Sandbag and his three freewheeling housemates. We haven't updated it in years but you can check out the archive.
- Arborius is a little experiment in Flash programming and tree-pruning (warning: this will probably crash your browser)
- My photos on flickr
- Eagle Park at Night (digital, 2006)
- West Wales (digital, 2005)
- Hearst Castle (digital, 2004)
- Moraga Creek (digital, 2004)
- Staffa, Scotland (35 mm black and white, 2003)
- Freeways (35 mm black and white, 2002)
- Western United States (35 mm color, 2002)
- Friends (35 mm & medium format, 20012003)
Also see some miscellaneous design work.
Software for Mac OS X
Most of this stuff has probably succumbed to bitrot, but feel free to poke around...
- Shellsilver is a little utility for launching shell scripts
- Lunamoth (beta) is a fast-paced 3D arcade game
- Pyper (experimental) is a musical development environment for Python
Papers, Research, etc.
- I gave a talk called "Maps Give You Superpowers: Lessons from Street View" at NACIS 2009; one of these days I'll get around to putting up slides from that talk.
- Happier Travels through Street View with Pegman, Google LatLong blog
- Getting from A to B with Street View, Google LatLong blog
- "Why it's not a wiki world (yet)", 2005 (PDF). Suggests technological and social reasons for the slow adoption of wikis, and examines the future course of the technology.
- Clara Shih, Armando Fox, Terry Winograd, Andy Szybalski, Maria Crone. Teamspace: A Simple, Low-Cost and Self-Sufficient Workspace for Small-Group Collaborative Computing. Proceedings of CSCW 2004. (PDF)
- Rafael Ballagas, Andy Szybalski, and Armando Fox. Patch Panel: Enabling Control-Flow Interoperability in Ubicomp Environments. Proceedings of PerCom 2004. (PDF 2.6 MB)
- Balancing Zero-Admin and Incremental Intergration in Ubicomp Environments, Undergraduate Honors Thesis, May 2004 (PDF paper 4.2 MB, or PDF slides 2.5 MB)
- Using Depth from Focus to Create Composite Images with Arbitrary Focus, 2004 (PDF, 8.5 MB) Removed due to space constraints
Painting at left: Sutro Tower Inc, by me, 2008.